world news

U.S. warns companies on Xinjiang business, urging to withdraw | Wall Street Journal Human Rights News

The joint statement warned of “increasing evidence” of the challenges of forced labor and due diligence.

The United States has warned that companies operating in Xinjiang are facing increased risks and accused Beijing of “continuing Genocide“And “crimes against humanity” against Uighurs and other mainly Muslim minorities, warning that companies may be prosecuted under U.S. law.

In the latest business advisory released on Tuesday, the United States stated that there is “increasing evidence” of forced labor, as well as other human rights violations and “intrusive” surveillance.

“In view of the seriousness and extent of these infringements, companies and individuals that do not withdraw from Xinjiang-related supply chains, companies and/or investments may face high risks of violating U.S. laws,” the State Department said in a joint statement with the U.S. State Department. Department of Finance, Department of Commerce, Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Labor and the Office of the United States Trade Representative also signed the proposal for the first time.

The United Nations estimates that in recent years, at least 1 million people have been detained in a network of re-education camps in the far west. Beijing calls these camps vocational skill training centers. necessary Fight against “extremism.”

Researchers also documented other abuses, including forced sterilization, demolishing mosques, clearing Muslim cemeteries, and separation of families. Amnesty International accused China of making “Dystopian hell“In Xinjiang.

The announcement stated that those who wish to do business in Xinjiang should be alert to potential risks associated with developing monitoring tools and purchasing goods and labor from Xinjiang (or elsewhere in China’s supply chain). These risks include US products or help such as software. Build or operate detention centers or factories nearby.

“The United States will continue to promote accountability for Chinese atrocities and other violations through the efforts of the entire government and close coordination with the private sector and our allies and partners.” Secretary of State Anthony Brinken said in a statement.

Uighurs protested in front of the US State Department in May, urging the international community to take action on China’s policies in western Xinjiang [File: Leah Millis/Reuters]

The consulting report pointed out the lack of transparency, but urged the company to “strengthen” due diligence, warning those who are found (or even indirectly) supporting the Chinese government’s monitoring system in the region or providing financial support for the company are at risk of prosecution and violations. Human rights related.

It added that any company whose existing investments and business operations may be affected should consider “responsible divestment”.

The United States has blacklisted the operations of several Chinese companies in Xinjiang and imposed sanctions on key officials suspected of violating human rights.

At least 10 Chinese companies are expected add to blacklist this week.

The United States issued the Xinjiang Supply Chain Business Advisory for the first time in July last year.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button