As the investigation into the cause of the collapse of Champlain Tann continues, dozens of people are still missing.
The official death toll from the partial collapse of a 12-story building in southern Florida continued to climb, and authorities said on Saturday that emergency workers had recovered seven more bodies from the rubble.
The death toll from the Champlain Tannan collapse in Surfside, Florida last month has now reached 86, while 43 people are still listed as missing.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava (Daniella Levine Cava) said: “This is a shocking and heartbreaking number that has a very, very deep impact on all of us.”
Levin Kava told reporters that so far, 62 bodies have been found as part of the “largest non-hurricane emergency response in the history of Florida.”
Two weeks after the crash on June 24, the authorities finally ended the rescue work on Wednesday, focusing on finding the remains.
Rescue workers and emergency support teams from Florida and several other states worked 24 hours a day and 24 hours a day for 16 days, doing physical and emotional hard work under severe heat and dangerous conditions.
After the workers demolished the rest of the building on July 4, the hope of finding the survivors rekindled briefly, allowing access to the new debris area. The voids where some survivors may be trapped do exist, mainly in basements and parking lots.
As workers continue to sift through the rubble, questions about what caused the tower to collapse continue to exist.
Investigators have not yet determined the cause of Champlain Tanant’s collapse without warning, but attention has been focused on a 2018 engineering report that warned of structural defects.
At the same time, members of the affected community began to debate how to deal with the place where Champlain Tann once was. Some lawyers for the victims’ families suggested that it should be a memorial to the dead.