The statement was issued after troops loyal to Khalifa Haftar stated that they had taken control of the border crossing with Algeria.
The troops of Khalifa Haftar, a military commander loyal to the mutiny, stated that after they controlled the border crossing with Algeria and declared it a military zone, the Libyan Presidential Council prohibited any military operations across the country without its approval. .
The Burkan al-Ghadab (Volcano of Rage) Operational Media Office stated that “the top commander of the Libyan army, without his prior approval, announced a total ban on the operation of military units regardless of the nature of their work,” said Saturday on Twitter. A statement said that the government-led counter-offensive was launched in April last year.
The statement said it also prohibits “military convoys for any purpose, or the transfer of personnel, weapons or ammunition.”
It added that, if necessary, the “repositioning or movement” of military convoys can only be carried out “in accordance with … and with the approval of the highest commander.”
Earlier on Saturday, a large army loyal to Haftar stated that it controlled the border crossing between southern Essen and Algeria, declared the area a military zone and prohibited movement.
Pictures published online show that dozens of armored vehicles are located in and around the border crossing, which has been closed for several years due to the conflict in Libya.
The move came after Haftar announced in a statement on Thursday that it would carry out an operation in the area “to track down… terrorists and expel African mercenary groups that threaten security and stability.”
This is the first such military operation by Haftar’s self-styled Libyan National Army since the signing of the ceasefire agreement at the end of last year and the takeover of the coalition government.
“Libya has been relatively peaceful since the ceasefire agreement was signed in October, so this is a very important movement,” Al Jazeera’s Malik Traina reported in Tripoli.
“This is the first time [since then] There has been such a large-scale military mobilization,” he added.
Local sources in the south told Al Jazeera that the convoy that arrived on Saturday was composed of Tuareg fighters and troops loyal to the former strongman Gaddafi.
Since the 2011 NATO-backed uprising overthrew Gaddafi and eventually split the oil-rich country into a United Nations-recognized government in the capital and a hostile authority in the east of the country, Libya has been in chaos and every government has been armed Support from groups and foreign governments.
In April 2019, Haftar and his eastern forces launched an offensive with the support of Egypt and the United Arab Emirates in an attempt to capture Tripoli.
After Turkey strengthened its support for the Tripoli government with advanced military equipment, troops and thousands of mercenaries, his 14-month campaign failed.
The October ceasefire led to the formation of a coalition interim government, which replaced two rival governments. Its mission is to unite the divided countries and guide them through the December 24 presidential and parliamentary elections.
Treiner said there are concerns that Haftar’s latest move may “hinder the election and the peace process.”
The International Conference on Libya is scheduled to be held in Germany on June 23. The event is co-sponsored by the United Nations and aims to “gather foreign actors involved… in Berlin to discuss support for the new interim government of Libya.”