world news

WHO announces the end of the second Ebola outbreak in Guinea | Guinea News

The second outbreak was announced in February, killing at least 12 people.

The West African Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization said on Saturday that the Ebola epidemic that broke out in Guinea in February has been declared over. The epidemic has infected 16 people and caused 12 deaths.

WHO official Alfred Ki-Zebo said at a ceremony held earlier this year in the Nzerekore region in the southeast where the disease appeared: “I am honored to announce that Ebola in Guinea has ended.

Health Minister Remy Rama added: “In the name of the head of state (President Alpha Comte), I announce the resurgence of the Ebola virus in Guinea.”

After the health authorities learned lessons from previous outbreaks in Guinea and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, they were able to act quickly to deal with the resurgence of the virus.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement: “Based on the lessons learned from the 2014-16 epidemic, and through rapid and coordinated response efforts… Guinea has successfully controlled the epidemic and prevented it from spreading abroad. “

In February, Guinea launched a vaccination campaign to stop the spread of the disease.

The Ebola outbreak from 2014 to 2016 resulted in 11,300 deaths, most of which were in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

The Ebola virus can cause severe fever and in the worst case can cause unstoppable bleeding.

It is spread through close contact with body fluids, and people living with or caring for Ebola patients are most at risk.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button