world news

USS Reagan enters the South China Sea | US News

The ship is accompanied by the guided guided missile cruiser USS Shiloh and guided guided missile destroyer USS Halsey on “routine missions.”

The US Navy stated that a US aircraft carrier formation led by the USS Ronald Reagan has entered the South China Sea as part of a routine mission. Escalation of tensions between Washington and Beijing, It claims to own most of the controversial waterways.

The U.S. Navy said on Tuesday that the aircraft carrier was accompanied by guided missile cruiser USS Shiloh and guided missile destroyer USS Halsey.

China often opposes US military operations in the South China Sea, saying it does not help promote peace or stability. The most recent action came after China condemned the Group of Seven (G7) countries for issuing statements criticizing Beijing for a series of problems.

The US Navy stated: “During the South China Sea, the strike group is conducting maritime security operations, including fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft flight operations, maritime strike exercises, and coordinated tactical training between surface and air forces.”

“Carrier operations in the South China Sea are part of the US Navy’s daily presence in the Indo-Pacific region.”

In recent years, China has strengthened its military presence in the South China Sea, including Construction of artificial islands and air bases, Where it installed missile systems and other equipment.

The South China Sea has become one of the many fuses of tensions between China and the United States. Washington has rejected Beijing’s illegal territorial claims in resource-rich waters, Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei and Malaysia.

In recent years, U.S. warships have passed through the South China Sea more and more frequently to exercise the right to freedom of navigation in order to show their force against China.

U.S. military alliance

In related developments, Philippine Foreign Minister Teodoro Locsin said that after months of negotiations between the two countries, the Philippines will extend an important military agreement with the United States.

In February last year, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to cancel the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) after Washington cancelled the visa of a close ally who led the internationally condemned drug war.

Duterte, who established a closer relationship with China, later changed his decision, which analysts said may further weaken decades of close military cooperation between Manila and Washington, DC.

The Growler was launched from the flight deck of the Ronald Reagan (CVN 76).Ronald Reagan [Courtesy of US Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Quinton Lee]

This is the third time Duterte has extended the agreement, which provides a legal framework for joint military exercises with the United States.

“The President communicated his decision to us. During his studies, he extended the suspension of the abolition of the visiting troops agreement for another six months, and the two sides further resolved his concerns about certain aspects of the agreement,” Losin said.

A foreign affairs spokesperson said that the department is waiting for Duterte’s office for detailed information on specific areas of concern.

Duterte’s decision is also accompanied by the strengthening of China Invaded Philippine waters, Angered many Filipinos.

After last year’s war game was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Philippines and the United States held a reduced-scale joint exercise in April.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button